Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Accidents Will Happen


After seeing Ben Johnson’s “The Alchemist” at The Shakespeare Theater with friends this afternoon, we went out for tapas at a nearby restaurant. 

We were starving by 3:00, so maybe that’s why the accident happened.  Or maybe it was because we were splitting all the little dishes and I am left-handed.  God only knows why I dealt a resounding blow to my water glass which shattered and spilled. 

Amazingly the water didn’t land in anyone’s lap -- not at our table or the next table.  But it was a bit of a spectacle as they sent a waiter over with a broom and dustpan to clean up our area.

As I somewhat shyly asked for a new glass of water, the man at the next table somewhat jokingly suggested that maybe they shouldn’t give me any, or that they should give me a plastic cup.  Sheesh, I started to wish I had wet those khaki pants of his and that it had been red wine instead of water.

My table was very good about it.  Our conversation continued as if nothing had happened.  I didn’t even really care that I had broken one of their cheap water glasses.  But I did find the comments of a stranger to be annoying. 

7 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

To this day, I can remember my father commenting on my always spilling something when we went out to eat. It was probably true. I don't remember. I just remember the words.

I'm sorry the guy at the next table was an ass. I'm glad the people at your table weren't.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- It's usually not worth crying over spilt milk, even if it broke the glass.

As for the next table ass, it's probably a good thing they left soon after it happened, because I was close to giving him a piece of my mind.

11:02 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

It sounds like he was trying to flirt with you.

2:23 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Just grin and wink at the next person who gets under your skin like that. It will disarm the anger ;)

6:41 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

That IS annoying. It's funny how tone-deaf some people can be about making jokes.

2:49 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I break things almost every day; I'd be the last one to criticize. Are people trying to diffuse the situation by making jokes or are they so insecure as to need to put you down to feel better.

12:03 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I'm with Bulletholes-I probably would have been one to make a comment (in my vain attempt to be funny). God forbid anyone sit next to the two of us in a restaurant.

You just gotta laugh sometimes.

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home