Friday, November 27, 2009

Sharing with Passion


Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, I’m gearing up for teaching 2 classes this week.

On Wednesday night I will meet with the moms of the kids we read to at the homeless shelter.  The idea will be to tell them what we are doing with their children and why, encouraging them to read to their children in between our weekly visits. 

Many of the moms are searching for work or have exhausting jobs that send them home with little energy to do anything besides feed their children and put them to bed.  I’m thinking of suggesting they combine forces with another family or two, taking turns reading at night. 

Research has shown that kids who are read aloud to become better readers than those who haven’t had that experience.  I hope I can be convincing, while at the same time being sympathetic to their life demands.   Each of the moms will take home 4 books on the theme of "Feelings."

Then on Saturday the dog food class is finally scheduled to happen.  I have been doing lots of  research on nutrition for dogs, since I come at this from the standpoint of a dog lover, not someone educated in canine food science.  I’m still working out the details with the chef who is in charge of all the classes at Hill’s Kitchen.  I’m encouraged that people are actually signing up for the class.  I’m curious to see who they are.

I’m planning to do a dry run with my daughter Rachel as my audience and critic on Sunday.  It will give me an idea of just how long it takes to demonstrate making dog food and dog biscuits.

I’m hoping to make both of these experiences fun.  They are not a source of income to me, but they can enrich my life in other ways I hope!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on, B! Teaching can be such a rewarding (and humbling) way to share the blessings of your experience with others, and to learn in turn. Hope both classes go great, and I'm looking forward to hearing about them.

F.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- I will definitely let you know how my education adventures go!

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home