Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Crust Challenged


I woke up today knowing I had to make the dreaded pie crust.  I can cook many things well, but pastry has never been among them.



I followed the directions for an “All Butter Crust” so carefully, determined that this time might be different.  But once again it was a struggle.  According to the instructions for pumpkin pie from my Thanksgiving class, I pre-cooked the crust.  (Note: That is parchment paper and weights in the pie shell!) I think it will actually taste good, but it is not a pretty crust.





I also made one of my signature leaves, in the hope that it will distract people from the rest of the crust.  Tomorrow morning I’ll make the filling and bake the pie.



A little while later my daughter breezed in, threw together the most perfect crust with no hesitation whatsoever.  She then made a delicious sweet potato custard filling.  The pie-baking skills, for which her grandmother was so famous, must have skipped a generation.



It was great to have her company as we cooked together today.  Now that we are just about done, my son has decided to make yet another soup for tomorrow’s meal, so he is peeling and chopping and working diligently in the kitchen.

We are all enjoying each other’s company with absolutely no stress.  Of course my daughter smiled as she reminded me that it hadn’t even been 24 hours yet.

6 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

Your crust looks fine to me and I love that leaf! I hope you all continue to enjoy each other. Happy Thanksgiving!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I'll be doing the same with my daughter this morning. She makes better pie crust than I do, too so she is in charge of pies. I will make the squash rolls instead, and the meat stuffing and the cranberry relish. Have a happy Thanksgiving and enjoy every minute with your kids!

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pie looks beautiful! For some reason this year I can't make a pumpkin pie to save my life. First time I forgot to put in the spices (oops!). The second time it came out looking like a mutant cake. But the stuffing, cranberry/orange relish, and mulled cider I made are fine. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, B!

XO,

F.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you and love the leaf motif--you're a pastry artist. Practice makes perfect they say--

I've never attempted pie crust since my spouse and also my sister are both excellent pie makers. Even though they don't care at all for cherry pie, they always bake lovely ones for me in cherry season. That's love.
Happy Thanksgiving!
Sq.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I love pie. Mrs. Sneed makes a perfect pie crust.

10:21 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Pie crust- the whole reason I turned to baking tarts. The crusts are so much more varied and almost fool-proof.
Glad it all worked out well. Your crust actually looks gorgeous!

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home