Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Coming Home


I just got in from a 12-hour trip from Chicago in which I literally ate my way home.  Eating has always been my favorite pastime while traveling by car.

Within minutes of leaving metro Chicago, I found myself rummaging in the food bag to find cheese and crackers, trail mix, dark chocolate, an apple, you name it. 

When I got tired of something or it was gone, I moved on to something else, never feeling full.

I reconfirmed just how far it is across Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.  Despite the spirited conversation with my traveling companions, the miles seemed to pass most quickly when I was chewing on something. 

I had the back seat to myself when I wasn’t driving.  That’s where all the food was.  I kept trying to offer food to those up front, but they were much more sensible.

Tomorrow it’s back to business as usual and perhaps a trip to the gym.  The eating frenzy is over until the next road trip.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I feel the same way about Nebraska, you have to keep eating to convince yourself that time has passed. It's like driving in a comatic state. Glad to know you're home and all is right with the world!

2:57 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Welcome home. Glad to read a mention of chocolate ;)

6:04 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- I can only imagine it's a long way across Nebraska.

Pauline -- Yes, chocolate! I won't even say how many squares I ate yesterday.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, Barbara!! I bet Jake is very happy to see you (oh, and David, too! Hee hee.)

F.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

A prime example of how eating can help pass time -- the need to eat in the car! (This is also why people often eat at their desks at work! I used coffee breaks to mark off segments of my day, and they really added structure!)

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home