Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Looking for a Needle in a Haystack


I’m starting to think fabric reweaving is becoming a lost art.  I haven’t given up on repairing the damaged Irish linen tablecloth, but I’m having a tough time getting started.

I started by Googling “reweaving DC” and kept coming up with Fabric Reweaving Company on 14th Street in DC, only to find the number had been disconnected.

So I broadened the search and moved on to French American Reweaving in New York, having to search for its current address and phone number.  Unfortunately the man I talked to didn’t really seem to want my job.  He kept saying he would take a job only if he thought it would turn out perfect and he wasn’t so sure about mine.  I offered to send photos of the damage and he said he didn’t have an e-mail address.  That didn’t bode well.

So I moved on to The French Re-Weavers in San Jose, where I talked to a nice woman who seemed interested.  I sent her the photos and am waiting to hear from her.

Meanwhile I found this article which mentioned a Beverly Cleaners right near me in Alexandria.  The woman I spoke to was clearly Korean and seemed only able to communicate the address of the establishment.  So tomorrow I’ll take my tablecloth and napkins to Susan Kim and see what she says.

I keep thinking there might be a process similar to plugging a hole in a windshield, where I can use a piece from a napkin and something like Stitch-Witchery to repair the damage from the hungry mouse.

If you fabric arts people have any suggestions, bring them on.  I want to repair these linens in a way that I will be proud to pass them down to future generations and if that means I need professional help, I will try to find it.  But it would certainly be less expensive if there is some way I can do it myself.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Try this:
http://www.communionlinens.com/services.htm#repairs

1:03 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Oops, that didn't come out right. Try this. They are based in Williamsburg.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I've never repaired linens but I do love the stories of the things that you do to improve your life and the things around you.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home