Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Weather Wins


Sometimes the weather decides one’s plans. Like tonight for example as the snow that wasn’t supposed to amount to much continues to fall.

As we sang our way through services today at Temple Micah, we could see the snow falling and falling and falling.  By the time we were driving home, the roads were in bad shape.  At one point we hit an icy patch and spun into the curb.  What a helpless feeling.  After that I literally crept home and felt relieved to turn off the engine.

Tonight I should just be finishing up an elegant dinner at my friend Deborah’s house before going to a black-tie gala on Capitol Hill, where we would have had exquisite desserts and entertainment.

But instead I’m throwing on an extra sweater and contemplating making an omelet for dinner.  It was not even an option to venture out into the snowy night that is also bitterly cold.  As much as I would enjoy socializing with people I know and love, I will have to content myself with a large dog and a husband, whom I love even more.

I bow to the weather gods.  They had other ideas about how I should spend my evening.



It was a brisket omelet, made by the greatest omelet chef ever. I guess we're hardly vegetarians yet...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I told someone earlier that God seems to be looking out for me with all of these storms; I really should stay home more often. Now, I must. Though, I was out in the snow for quite a while today.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'll bet you will really savor an evening at home. Or you could have gone to a gala at St. Marks Church in my place...

8:27 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Well you missed seeing Doug at St. Mark's. He was substituting for someone else who couldn't make it because of the weather. Doug's car is worthless in the snow so I drove him down there since my gig at Glen Echo had gotten cancelled, and then I went to see a movie at the E Street theater while he was at his gig. The timing worked out pretty well. The streets were horrible going down, but much better on the way home. I hope you had a nice evening at home.

1:03 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i love those markings in the snow!

7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post...and I'm so glad you made it home safely!

"I will have to content myself with a large dog and a husband, whom I love even more" -- awww... makes my heart melt, and you know I can relate to this!

I laughed at the photo -- your outdoor furniture has become your snow stick for your readers!

Here we had a break in the rain, and enjoyed a wonderful midnight walk beneath the just-past-full moon...

F.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Yummy.

How is the snow today? We had some falling last night but when I woke up it was all gone. Sometimes it is great fun to be snowed in and cut off from the rest of the world for a bit (well, in theory anyway since we have computers these days).

Keep cozy.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home