Monday, April 05, 2010

Farewell to '24'


How many times has my favorite (and usually only) TV show been canceled?  It happened most recently to 'American Dreams.'  Now it’s happening again to '24.'

I was slow to jump on the '24' bandwagon, claiming it was just too violent for the first few seasons.  However, I have come around, dealing with the violence by closing my eyes.  I would say I actually see about 80% of every episode.

As everyone says, 8 years is a long run as far as TV shows go.  But it really doesn’t seem fair to cancel this show just when I have come to appreciate it.

I’m really curious to see what happens to the main characters in the last 8 hours.  Do they save the world?  Give up their lives along the way?  Finally find the love that the fast pace of the show never permits?  Get to eat a leisurely dinner?  Get to sleep through the night?

It is pretty bizarre that during the course of an entire season, the entire cast wears the same clothes they started in and never gets a moment of downtime. 

Does anyone have an idea for another TV show I might like?  Maybe one that’s not its way off the air?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry you're losing your show! Since I don't really watch TV anymore, I don't have any suggestions. But I feel your pain, as they say -- I remember how I grieved when "Northern Exposure" ended...

F.

11:09 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

I am mad for "Mad Men". Between seasons right now, but due back pretty soon I think.

1:53 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

sh I could help but I don't watch TV much, and I'm still mourning the loss of MASH and Seinfeld!

7:17 AM  
Blogger karen said...

Hi Barbara. I was also put off by the violence, and never really got into it at all, unlike you! I find that most TV series that I start to enjoy either disappear, or start to go downhill after a few seasons!

Great pics of Jake and the shad tree earlier, too, and of course the little Mozambiquan school :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

My favorite non-HBO show is Friday Night Lights. Don't be put off by the "high-school football in Texas" theme; the acting and writing are amazing. Season 4 starts in June on NBC.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Oh, I didn't know 24 was cancelled! Wow. I never saw it, but it certainly got a lot of buzz.

I like "Southland" a lot.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

My two favorites are "Big Bang Theory" which is a funny 1/2 hour sitcom that centers around four geeky college professors and the ditzy waitress from The Cheesecake Factory. I love the math jokes and they really have gotten the guys down: funny, but not pathetic

The other show I like is "Numbers" a Friday night crime solver that has a college math professor and his FBI brother solving crimes using mathematical analysis. Sometimes I roll my eyes, but it's cute and I like the characters as much as I like the action.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Eight years? Already? That's amazing. I'm sorry it's going away. That definitely seems to happen to all my faves. Guess that's what I get for liking quirky shows and things that are critically acclaimed, if not popular, but 24 is popular!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home