Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sport Shooting

I’ve become quite fond and appreciative of my dermatologist of many years -- the man who has saved me from skin cancer repeatedly.  But long ago I recognized how diametrically opposed his politics and mine are.  And I’ve come to accept his love of guns and of shooting animals.
He now lives in semi-retirement on a farm on Kent Island, near Annapolis in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay.  When I was in for a routine check-up last month, he shared with me the fact that he had just bought 150 baby ducks.  I quickly realized the ducks were not for stocking a pond, but rather to give him target practice that would allow him to exceed the legal limit of 4 wild ducks a day.  He confirmed that that indeed was the case.
Yesterday I was in to get a small keratosis on my forehead frozen.  I asked how his ducks were doing.  He said his attention was now on a den of foxes that were killing his chickens.  It’s a mother fox and her young.  He figured out that he could eliminate the problem by killing the mother, but he’s not ready to do that yet because foxes are good target practice too even if along the way a few more chickens bite the dust.  He said he shot at one the other day but missed.  He was glad in a way that he had missed because that will prolong the hunt.
If he wasn’t such a good doctor, I might have left the practice long ago.  But he’s always on time and is widely recognized as one of the best in the city.  Yesterday my appointment was at 9:15.  I got there a few minutes early and walked out with my frozen keratosis at 9:12.  You can’t beat that for efficiency.
I keep hoping he will look into the eyes of those baby ducks or even the little foxes and have a change of heart, but I think that is about as likely as his voting for a Democrat in the next election.

5 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That's not a very nice hobby, shooting baby duckies. To each his own.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- I'm pretty sure he will let them grow up before he starts shooting them, as if that really makes any difference.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I made a deal with the universe a long time ago. I won't kill things and I hope they reciprocate.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm torn. I think it's really good to accept people for who and what they are and his private life doesn't hinder his abilities as a doctor. Of course, his abilities as a doctor fund his private life... I think I'd just hope he wouldn't talk much about it in front of me. I don't need to know.

I do totally support hunting but not so much in the sporting sense. Shoot skeet if it's just a game.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Ugh. Ugh. Ugh.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home