Monday, May 17, 2010

That Annoying Buzz


My latest pet peeve is vibrating cell phones.  Setting a mobile phone to “vibrate” is not the same as silencing it.
I position my yoga mat near the shelves where people stash their things during class.  I can easily slip out for a bathroom break if the need arises.  I can also hold onto the shelving if my balance is a little wobbly.
But inevitably my yoga practice is interrupted by the hum of a buzzing cell phone.  And it’s often more than one.  The callers can’t understand why the owner doesn’t pick up so they call again.  
I realize that it would be unacceptable to ban cell phones from the yoga studio, but I don’t think it is unreasonable to ask that they be turned off completely, not set on vibrate.
Cell phones have made it a lot easier to communicate, but I wouldn’t in the least miss seeing drivers/shoppers/pedestrians glued to their phones and oblivious to their surroundings.  And I would welcome hearing only the sound of the teacher’s voice and the students’ breathing in my yoga classes.
Is anyone else bothered by the buzz of a vibrating phone?

6 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

The guy in the office across the hall from me somehow manages to set his cell phone to both vibrate and ring and they are at top level. Talk about irritating!

Can the yoga instructor ask people to turn their phones off before class?

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it annoys me, too. But I just try to imagine that it's a vibrator of theirs, and that makes me smile instead.

F.

1:02 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

The buzz is only slightly less annoying to me than the ring. My favorite setting is OFF.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- Why would anyone need a buzz AND a ring?! When the yoga instructor reminds people to turn off their cell phones, they think VIBRATE is good enough.

Anon -- I'm not sure I totally get this. Let's talk off-Blog!

Cyndy -- My sentiments exactly. At least with a ring, the person is clearly OUTED!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Turn off the damn phone!

11:06 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I just love the way they clatter across tables during meetings because it's not enough to turn it on vibrate (which isn't silent at all), the owners need to see them at all times.

10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home