Friday, May 21, 2010

Bits and Pieces


I have nothing in particular to say, so you get bits and pieces.
I was rudely awakened to the sound of Jake throwing up in our bedroom at 6:30 this morning.  My husband’s ability to sleep right through it reminded me of those days when I was nursing an infant and he seldom woke up.  Unfortunately I couldn’t fall back to sleep after cleaning up the mess, so I am really tired tonight.
Speaking of Jake, he has recovered his ability to catch his kong in mid-air -- at least 50% of the time.  He seems extremely pleased and as a result carries the kong around in his mouth except when he is eating.
We learned the reality of dealing with Overstock.com today.  My daughter had ordered a  mattress, planning to take it up to NYC with all of her other stuff for a June 1 apartment occupancy.  Now it appears the mattress may not get here by the time she leaves.  Sadly once an order it place, it is unlikely that it can be cancelled and they refuse to change the shipping address.
My daughter’s boyfriend is back for the weekend after renting a house in NJ.  We were just finishing up a big pot of bouillabaisse when he walked in tonight.  That and our homemade strawberry rhubarb crisp made quite a delicious dinner.
I heard wonderful news from a good friend today as she attempts to do something that most of us would never dream possible.  
I wish I could take a happy pill tonight and wake up in a much better state of mind tomorrow, but happy pills don’t seem to reside among my vitamins.  Perhaps I will just have to rely on the new piece of music my piano teacher found for me today.  Music does have healing qualities, for sure.

5 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

You poor girl, waking up by someone throwing up beside you must be real fun! But he seems not actually sick when he can catch his kong in mid-air. Our duck Kumpel can do that, too. He wakes us up by flying against our window, then waits at the terrace door, and when you come out he almost sits on our feet and opens his beak. And when you drop the piece of black bread into it he catches it at all angles! Great artists, these guys.
You are allowed to take one pill a month, so don`t worry. You are not a junkie if you do. I hope you`ll feel better soon. Happy weekend!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Good for Jake, at least on the kong front. I'm sure he's just pleased as punch! Hope he's feeling better, that you get rest and that you have a wonderful weekend with your daughter and her boyfriend.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

New music is an excellent substitute for a happy pill, daling!

(daling was my word verification)

1:54 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Awww, sorry about Jake. Hope he feels better and you get some sleep!

Did I know your daughter is moving to NYC? Hope you'll visit her and we have a chance to see each other!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It would appear Jake's queasy stomach was a random event. He's fine once again, but becoming increasingly deaf. He no longer hears people come in the door.

Yes, Steve, Rachel is moving to NYC (around 160th St) to study at Columbia to become a nurse practitioner. I'm sure we will be up to visit so we will likely be able to meet up and meet Dave!

I like the new music, but it must be slow-release happiness.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home