Sunday, May 02, 2010

Sunday Pot Pourri


This is a pot pourri of my Sunday:

Remember that somewhat ugly quilt square I received in the mail from fellow Blogger and quilter Rayna?  She has finally posted the results from those of us who transformed similar squares into something else.  After looking at the striped tie of the professor who talked about creativity at the Smithsonian, I went home and made a tie out of my square.  Others were far more clever.



This morning I went to a discussion at Temple Micah with Kai Bird, Pulitzer-prize winner and author of his new book: Crossing Mandelbaum Gate, a memoir of his upbringing in the Middle East.  He is not Jewish, but is married to the daughter of two Holocaust survivors.  He brings a very interesting perspective to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.  The discussion was dominated by a certain New York Times reporter, but a few others got a chance to ask their questions as well.  We explored his idea of a secular Israel, one with defined borders and a constitution, things that are currently missing.  I think the book will be a fascinating read and will give me new insight into the roots of the current conflict.

This afternoon I went to another Hill’s Kitchen (Brock) class: Cinco de Mayo.  This was the REAL enchilada.  Actually we made Black Bean Tacos, Chicken with Mole Sauce, Guacamole, and Homemade Tortillas.  The whole place smelled of toasted Mexican spices.  Our throats gently burned from the various hot peppers, but we had beer with lime and salt to wash away the burn.  This was a meal I am sure I could recreate.  There are a lot of ingredients, but nothing is difficult to make.

The bad news is Brock is moving to Thailand with his partner for a year starting in June.  I’m happy to be signed up for a couple of additional classes before he leaves town.  But I’m already thinking of ways we might continue the group learning and the feeling of cooking community that has been established at Hill’s Kitchen. 

Just as the house is completed, we are getting company.  Our daughter and her SO are coming through on their way to New York – New Jersey, where they will both continue their education in the medical field.  It will be our first chance to meet this guy.  From what she says, we will immediately like him.

Life is pretty much on a fast track, but it would seem that’s the way I like it!

4 Comments:

Blogger dennis said...

Dennis likes to sleep on an ugly quilt square.
Dennis likes the fast track too.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I love the tie! You are plenty clever dear heart.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

That's a very groovy tie!

2:01 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Great mix for a Sunday and talk of the class has inspired drool. Delicious! I'm sorry to hear Brock's going to be gone for a while, but knowing you, you'll figure something out!

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home