Saturday, August 14, 2010

First cooking class










We were picked up early today for a cooking class by Helping Hands, a Thai effort to employ people who live in the slums. Our pre-class adventure took us to the large central food market to buy the ingredients for the dishes we would make.

In addition to foods I had never seen were live frogs, crabs, ells, and so much more.



























We learned how to make foods from the Issan area of Thailand -- things like duck larb and pork with lime. Much of the mixing was done with a giant mortar and pestle. Perhaps the part of the meal was the sticky rice with fresh mango.



























After class, we jumped on a bus and headed off to Kanchanaburi, where we will learn to make dishes from Central Thailand tomorrow.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


Location:Ban Nua,Thailand

4 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Mango with Sticky Rice might be my favorite part of any Thai meal! Are they going to make you learn how to cook (and eat)frogs? I heard they taste like chicken!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Awww, those poor little trussed-up crabs! So sad!

I've bought one of those fruits at the top in Chinatown. I think they're called Dragon Fruit, or something like that? They're yummy!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I draw the line at buying live anything for consumption.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Gorgeous pics! I especially love the one of the crabs... Does that make me a bad vegetarian or a good traveler?

5:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home