Monday, September 27, 2010

A Colorful Case



If you are wondering what’s in the quilted bag on our dining room table, unbutton the large yellow button and take a look.  Craigslist has answered my keyboard search with a 61-key Casio electronic piano.
A trusted friend steered me away from my first choice yesterday because it didn’t have a  “piano touch” feature, meaning it might be a fun toy but it would not double as a practice piano.  So I sent off an email to someone offering a used version for $100 of the item I was about to buy new on Amazon for $139.
We exchanged a couple of messages in which she told me she had upgraded to a more serious piano for her own use.  She said she had paid $259 for the keyboard and stand 6 months ago.  She wasn’t selling the stand.  But when she heard why I needed it, she dropped the price to $75.  I found a $19 stand on Amazon with free shipping and considered $94 a good deal.  
We made our transaction after my lunch in DC today.  When she brought it out wrapped in a dry cleaning plastic bag to protect it from the drizzle, I realized I needed to come up with a storage bag of some sort.
My stash of quilted fabric came in handy as I eked out just enough to cover the keyboard.  Two prints because that’s all there was.  I thought it was a rather happy combination which would appeal to a 9-year-old.  The large yellow button will keep it from sliding out the end.
I’m happy with the keyboard.  It seems to work just fine.  The keys have a nice action to them and the sound is quite good.  I think it’s a bargain that should meet Margalen’s needs.  I’m just hoping the stand has a very low position because she is quite short with all her Mayan genes!
One of you may recognize the fabric...  

12 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

That bag you made is gorgeous! Margalen is very lucky to have such a devoted piano teacher.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

I love what you are doing! What a gift to Margalen.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy, Terry -- I love an excuse for a sewing project!

9:15 PM  
Blogger e said...

What a wonderful cover and gift...that kid will remember your generosity, I'm sure.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

You are the best piano teacher ever! How wonderful. I wish you were closer so you could teach me.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- You are probably right. She is really a sweet little girl. She is somewhat of a miracle baby, having been born 3 months premature at 1 pound.

Gary -- I too wish you lived closer. We would have a great time and you WOULD LEARN TO PLAY THE PIANO!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You are so great, Barbara! This is wonderful.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recognize the fabric :-)

12:56 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

wow, just you writing that made me feel like one day I could actually learn. You are a great teacher!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Laura ( Huck ) said...

Hmmm... I should email you about piano lessons. We have the same keyboard sitting at home and needs someone to learn to play more than a one fingered 'heart and soul!"

10:04 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Laura -- I might have to know what I was doing to teach an adult! :) If you're willing to take a chance, send me an email. We could learn together.

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home