Monday, September 20, 2010

Food from Home



Have you ever considered what you might crave after spending 4 months in a far-away place like Thailand?  It would probably not be pad Thai.  But it might be something decadent and definitely American like Reeses Cups.
After getting home we realized we were missing our copy of the cookbook from one of our classes.  Brock was kind enough to put his in the mail to us and jokingly said he could be reimbursed for the postage with some Reeses.
In great appreciation and taking him at his word, I bought a box of them at Costco today and sent them on their way, choosing a medium flat-rate box as the means of transport.  Needless to say, the few dollars I saved at Costco were quickly deposited at the USPS.
I’m wondering if he will eat until his is sick after receiving the box (that is, if it actually arrives at what seems like a very strange address) or if he will use my approach of rationing them out.  Knowing Brock, he will hand them out to every American he knows because that’s just the way he is.
So what would you have asked for?

9 Comments:

Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

I hope you sent them express! Otherwise, he may be licking puddles of peanutbutterychocolate.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LA -- Are you kidding? I sent them the cheapest way possible, which was still way over vending machine prices per package. I did think about the "melt factor", but figured the 36 packages would contain the puddles. If necessary he can use a spoon (or chopsticks!) Sometimes it's the thought that counts most I figured...

5:32 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

When I spent two months or so touring Europe I couldn't wait to get back home to Oreos and a hero from my favorite hero place, Campus Heros, on Long Island. My sweet mom was planning to surprise me with one when I got off the plane but her father (my grandpa) passed away just before I got back and threw everything off. But I digress...

The Reeses picture has done me in. I must have!

6:47 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Yeah, thanks a lot for the Reeses photo! And I was being so good today.

The one thing that I missed during several months of cruising was bagels. Really good poppy seed bagels. They didn't have them anywhere in western Europe that I could find.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Brock said...

REALLY?? REALLY? I am so exited! Thanks so much- that is so sweet of you!! And pools of chocolate or not, I'll still lick the wrappers clean. Huzzah!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Mac and cheese, please. I never, ever, ever make it at home, but that's because I can. I sure would miss that option of comfort in a blue box.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary, Cyndy, Kristin -- It's funny that everyone has named very American foods. As you think about them and your mouth waters, you want them even more when they are not on the foreign menu or any place to be found.

Brock -- I will be somewhat amazed if the box gets delivered to your apartment in the 6-10 days as promised by the USPS. Please let me know if and when it arrives, even if it's just a chocolate puddle!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I once sent two boxes of Captain Crunch peanut butter cereal to a niece who was doing a year in Italy. She was seriously Jonesing for her cereal!

5:25 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

The thing I missed the most when I spent that month-and-a-half in Italy was Chinese food. On the way home from the airport, I stopped at my local chinese restaurant. Can you believe it? While I was eating there, the place was robbed by gun-wielding thugs! (nobody was hurt) I thought, "THIS is what I come back to!"

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home