Friday, September 24, 2010

A Continuing Celebration of the Ordinary



Remember how I recently wrote about the Buddhist idea of finding peace in being ordinary instead of always striving to be special?  It turns out there is a celebration of the ordinary in Judaism as well.
At tonight’s Shabbat services, our rabbi Esther contrasted the holiday of Passover with that of Sukkot (the one happening right now).  She commented that while Passover commemorates the one-time miracle of the exodus of the Jews from Egypt, Sukkot celebrates the miracles of ordinary, everyday life.
Sukkot recognizes the 40 years the Jews lived in “temporary housing” as they crossed the desert and made their way to the Holy Land.  Observant Jews build a sukkah similar to the one in the picture above to celebrate Sukkot, also known as the Festival of Booths.  Many take their meals in the temporary structure and some even sleep in it.  I can imagine it would be a lot of fun for children, although I confess to never having erected one in my back yard.
I find it so interesting that this recognition of the ordinary keeps popping up for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Perhaps it is because you are retired and have more time to pay attention to the ordinary? If we all paid close attention, the world would be a far different place, I imagine.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It's a good lesson to earn, one that bears repeating.

7:01 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

When I look out of my window, I see some last tall summer flowers swaying in the breeze, the air is foggy but not cold, there is definitely fall in the air. This is an ordinary day, I have cooked some sand thorn jam and feel good. I love my ordinary life!!
Those grass huts look like fun. I would like to help you build one! And sleep in it, of course! With torches!

12:23 PM  
Blogger e said...

Is that from Temple Micah? If so, it is impressive. Perhaps you should share this post with Rabbi Esther. She may have some interesting things to say about your observations.

You, Angela, Kristin and Pauline are right. There is power in the ordinary, something we are often too busy to remember.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home