Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Celebrating Legitimacy and Friendship



About the best thing you can say for turning 62 is it further legitimizes your senior standing.  That’s the magic age on the San Francisco public transportation system that entitles one to ride the bus for 75 cents as opposed to $2, for example.
This day has been a reminder of just how many friends far and wide I have.  On the home front, I awoke to find a card and an exquisite amethyst necklace from my husband and Jake.  My daughter called.  My son sent me a beautiful Le Creuset olive pot.  Deborah gave me a jar of Greek spices.  My piano teacher gave me a CD and called to sing Happy Birthday to me.  My friend Gary sent me CD’s of all the music from Glee season one.  A friend in SF sent me CD’s of chants from all over the world.  And so many people send cards, email messages, and Facebook messages.  
It was a busy day.  I took a lunch of lobster-shrimp salad and fresh fruit to my friend Ellen’s house.  She is one of the bravest more optimistic persons I know.  She was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer 3 years ago.  After an initial rather hopeless prognosis, Ellen determined to follow every possible lead that might restore her health.  After rounds of chemotherapy and radiation and experimental drugs, her tumors have shrunk and she leads a fairly normal life.  She had just returned from the gym when I arrived with lunch.  
This evening I met another friend for dinner on Capitol Hill.  We tried a fabulous new Vietnamese restaurant, BaBayDC, on Pennsylvania Avenue.  I have never eaten such mouth-watering pho.
Then I went and sat in silence for an hour with long-time mediation friends.  It was a fitting way to end a day of celebration and connection.
Next time I go moaning about feeling lonesome, would someone please remind me of my birthday?   Thanks again for all those good wishes! 

9 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Glad your birthday was such a happy occasion. Belated best wishes for a wonderful year! It's so heartwarming to find that people love you and remember you, especially on your birthday - it's a celebration of you!

11:54 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Happy Birthday! I'm glad you had such a wonderful day!

12:56 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

Happy belated birthday! It sounds like a wonderful day indeed!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Cutie. I never can remember which day is your birthday. FL

5:24 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wishing you a very belated and very happy birthday. You deserve all the best.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Birthdays are a wonderful time to feel the love and I am thrilled that you had a fantastic time doing just that. It seems like you had a day filled with reminders of how special you are to a great many people.

Enjoy the Glee music.

xo

9:22 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Happy belated birthday! Though, I always figure at my age I am entitled to celebrate my birthday for at least a week!

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad your day was affirming! Good timing.

And I for one will remind you, if needed, don't worry! :-)

Glad you're enjoying all the music.

XO,

F.

12:21 PM  
Blogger e said...

I've been offline for a bit...Your birthday sounds fabulous, and I hope this will be a wonderful year, too!

Belated best wishes!

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home