Saturday, February 26, 2011

Coming Back



This was the first day in about 10 that I have both exercised and played the piano, things I had otherwise taken for granted as part of my day.  Sometimes it takes an absence to make you realize how much you love something, even exercise.
I just spent some time beginning to learn this Chopin nocturne, which is strikingly beautiful.  It’s not an easy piece that I can sit down and sight-read.  But instead of my usual inclination to just dive right in, I began by playing the hands separately, listening to  how each contributes to the harmonic whole.  It feels like a delicious lullaby.  One of those pieces I will grow to love a little more each time I play it.
Even my exercise routine was a welcome part of my day.  Having exhausted all the early Glee episodes, I am now watching the BBC version of Shameless, a series about the most dysfunctional family imaginable.  I did my half hour on the bike and then started to stretch out muscles that had begun to atrophy.
I wish I could say my husband was recovering at the same pace.  His cough is lingering, making it difficult for him to sleep.  We’re both grateful to get the flu over with now however instead of a month from now when we are taking off for Poland and Israel.
As my doctor predicted, it would last all week and then I would feel healthy again.  I had a taste of good health today and I really like it.  The ability of the body to heal continues to amaze me.
I would hereby like to dissociate myself from this flu bug, having passed it along to far too many friends and loved ones.  I’m happy to let it be someone else’s flu, or better yet no one’s flu at all!

4 Comments:

Blogger e said...

I'm happy to hear that treacherous bug is almost history for you...I'm dragging thanks to yet another cold and hoping not to get sicker. Of course, since my health insurance premium is set to rise beyond its already astronomical level, who knows?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I am pleased to read that you are feeling better. I had a piano lesson this morning and just looking at the music you have pictured there makes my eyes hurt. I can't imagine how long it will take me to ever tackle something like that.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Glad you are feeling better - and ca appreciate how good good health feels!

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Chopin nocturnes! So glad you're feeling better. Healing wishes to D.

F.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home