Saturday, June 25, 2011

Moving on up in the world of blenders


How many times have you walked past one of those Vitamix demos at Costco and said to yourself, “Who in the world would spend all that money on a blender?” It was always a very attractive young woman with a hands-free microphone doing the demo. I never pushed my way through the crowd to get a sample.

But the other day as I was shopping in Whole Foods, I noticed a Vitamix demo in front of the fish counter and there was no crowd. So I drank a little cup of their smoothie and listened to the spiel. I was instantly hooked but sure I could go on Amazon and get a better price.

Not so. Amazon does not carry the Vitamix 5200 for some strange reason. And no other source online had a comparable price to the “sale” at Whole Foods.

So I went back today and bought one -- undoubtedly the largest amount I will ever pay checking out of Whole Foods. The cute girl doing the demo told me there were three things I should do after opening the box -- watch the video, watch the video, watch the video. I’m always a little put off by that sort of advice, but I suppose I will watch the video before turning on my 2-HP blender, the Cadillac of food processors.

I flipped through the voluminous cookbook that comes with the machine and determined we could give away all our appliances and just prepare our meals with the Vitamix.

One not-so-good thing is it is so tall that it doesn’t fit in the space between my kitchen counter and cabinets when fully assembled. Oh well…

I tell myself it was worth the price so I no longer have to smell the motor in my Kitchenaid blender slowly burning up as I make smoothies. When the cute young girl smiled and told me this machine would probably outlive me, I winced and secretly hoped she would not be right!

6 Comments:

Blogger e said...

I have a small scar on one finger from a blender accident years ago...Will you be giving away your other appliances now that you have this one? I hope you enjoy it.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Wow, that thing costs almost as much as a lawnmower! I googled it and it looks like it is the best one out there, so you won't ever have to trade up. Does it do all of the same things as a food processer? Eventually I want to get something to make pureed soups with. So that I can still eat nutritiously after all of my teeth fall out.
:!

11:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- It remains to be seen how much we can get rid of. I haven't watched the video or been brave enough to turn it on yet.

Cyndy -- I paid considerably less than any price you probably saw online since this was a special promotion at Whole Foods. But it was still a lot more than I ever thought I would spend on a kitchen appliance.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

LOL -- things NOT to say to a customer! "This gadget will outlive YOU!"

I'm not going to look up the price. I'll take your word for it. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Margie said...

Barbara, I have this blender and love it!
I've had it for over 10 years now and it works the same today as when I first got it!
It's just amazing!
Enjoy it!

Margie :)

2:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Margie -- It's reassuring to know I really did get a good blender. You never know these days how cost relates to value. Everything I have read from other owners agrees with you!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home