Thursday, June 16, 2011

When the Cat's Away...


I eat treif! And other things that are not usually a part of our diet. It seems the perfect time to get my fill of those forbidden foods.

We actually never have attempted to keep kosher. But my husband has an aversion to pork and shellfish. And he is lactose intolerant. So I usually try to make things he can and will eat.

A beautiful yellow crookneck squash was part of today’s CSA offering. I suddenly remembered making such squash with bacon and a cheese sauce baked in a casserole with buttery croutons on top (about 40 years ago before I even knew what treif was). It seemed the perfect way to prepare the little squash and it made just enough for one big serving with leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch.

To round out the meal, I boiled some shrimp in a lemon-onion stock. Just as they turned bright pink, I threw them into a colander to stop the cooking. A little lime juice sprinkled over top was the only seasoning they needed.

I enjoyed every bite as I ate my dinner solo and Jake slept at my feet. By the time my husband returns from a quick trip to Detroit, I will have exhausted all my cravings for food we usually don’t eat!

3 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Those both sound delicious!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great meal! And how fun to play while the cat's away...:-) Every couple needs time apart from each other occasionally.

F.

2:00 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Good for you! When Dave is away I cook vegetarian, so I know exactly what you mean. :)

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home