Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Beginning of Old


Do you move through your kitchen without thinking much about which switch to flip or where things are? Many things are just habitual and we don’t have to give them much thought.

Like the switch for the garbage disposal -- the one on the left side of the sink. Yesterday I found myself flipping the one on the right side of the sink because that’s where it had been in our condo on Kauai. It took me a few seconds to realize my error and then I declared the beginnings of senility.

Today my husband asked me where the Brita pitcher was. I knew immediately he was looking for it where it had been in our condo and not on the door of the refrigerator where we keep it at home. I declared a partner in my new quest for senility.

Later my husband took Jake out to throw his kong in the back yard. He seems to have forgotten how to fetch and instead proceeded to bury it under a bush. In his case, it probably is senility since in human years he would be about 91.

As the day wore on, I found myself re-acclimating to my current world once again. It’s just a matter of reloading a few brain cells that had gotten stuck elsewhere.

4 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Funny! It's amazing how quickly the brain can change its wiring. I wouldn't call it senility, since that usually means you CAN'T learn new things, right? :)

2:18 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Yeah, you guys are probably just jetlagged. The other day I accidentally poured orange juice onto my cereal instead of into the glass. And I have no excuse for that!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm with Steve. The fact that you could so easily adapt to a new norm probably means you're far from senile. :)

7:06 PM  
Blogger e said...

Steve's right...Maybe you should pack up Jake and move back to that condo.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home