Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Out of This World


I’m sitting here marveling at what my body underwent just yesterday and feeling so glad I was unaware of any of it.  There is a lot to be said for being knocked out when you don’t want to remember what happened.
In contrast I refused to take any drugs when in labor.  It was somewhat a matter of principle, but also I just wanted to know exactly what was going on as my two children came into the world.
I have come to love the rush that accompanies that transition from full consciousness to nothingness.  I could feel myself getting agitated as they struggled to get the EKG machine working properly before my procedure yesterday.  They cleaned the leads, cleaned my skin, and finally brought in a new monitor.
It was at that point the anesthesiologist told me that within a minute I would be asleep.  He asked me to breathe deeply a few times and by the second breath I was out.  What a rush as I gave up my consciousness to the people who would keep me vital as they explored the far reaches of my colon.  Apparently my colon is long and twisted with a lot of sharp turns.  But I never felt a thing as the scope with a camera looked around.
Upon waking up I felt groggy but not otherwise uncomfortable. It was as if awaking from a long deep sleep.  So deep there were no dreams, no memories.  Just the way I wanted it to be.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

It IS a rush, that moment when we go under. I can understand why drug addicts get addicted, I really can.

5:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you emerged unscathed back here on this side of that dreamless dream!

F.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home