Saturday, November 26, 2011

Legacy


As my daughter was growing up, she actually learned more of my behavior than I ever imagined.  We had a lot of time to observe each other in the kitchen yesterday as we all pitched in to make our belated Thanksgiving dinner.
As I was cleaning up as others cooked, her boyfriend remarked that the can barely set down a glass or a spoon without her washing it.  
Then as we were cleaning up after the feast and I went to work on the stove, her boyfriend said she does the same thing every time they cook.
Thinking back, I am pretty sure I inherited both of these behaviors from my mother, who always did all the cooking herself.
It’s quite a surprise to see yourself in your adult child.  I wonder what else she inherited from me...

3 Comments:

Blogger e said...

That might be an interesting conversation to have with her, although she might not be as aware of things you two share.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Funny! I often see the reverse, too -- I'll see my mom or dad do something and think, "Wow, that's exactly how I would have done it!" We inherit a lot more -- whether through nature or nurture -- than we often realize.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I love it when I hear my children use a Merleism with their kids.

The greatest gift a parent give himself or herself is to see tht they have raised responsible adults. You seem to be a great success!

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home