Saturday, December 24, 2011

On Duty


Every time we go to Temple Micah, we pass this police car parked in a nice little indentation of Massachusetts Avenue.  About half the time there is someone inside, but often it’s empty.  
We’ve speculated about what it’s doing there.  Perhaps guarding against terrorist threats to the VP at the National Observatory just down the street?  Perhaps as a deterrent of some other kind?  
I determined to find out on our way home today.  So my husband pulled over and I went over to have a chat with the very large policeman sitting in his car and doing something on his laptop.
He was a little surprised to see me, but quickly told me he was there to catch speeders with a radar camera on the front left of the car.  For once it was nothing about terrorism!
And here I thought I knew all the speed traps.  I’m actually surprised I haven’t learned the hard way by getting a ticket.  I think I have discovered most of the others in the city.
I’m guessing the camera works whether the cop is in the car or not.  But wouldn’t it be more cost-effective to just mount a permanent unmanned camera at that location, thereby freeing up a police cruiser and the cop inside?  The DC Government never ceases to amaze me with how it chooses to allocate taxpayer money.

4 Comments:

Blogger e said...

I sent the language book information to your e-mail...Perhaps the cop is there to catch other drivers such as those who've had a bit too much holiday cheer?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- Thanks for the book suggestions.

The cop is there every day -- even days when there is no holiday to cheer. It seems like a pretty cushy, low-danger assignment with a lot of time to surf the web...

4:16 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Local governments have figured out how to shakedown the public with these cameras.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

That's great that you stopped and asked.

And it worked out for you too. Now you know another place to be a good girl while driving.

Happy Holidays dear Barbara. xo

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home