Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Hoping for a Rain Delay


I am praying that the weather gods will take pity on us and somehow alter the long-range forecast for the lake district of Chile, the one place I most wanted to experience again.  The current prediction is for showers every one of the days we are supposed to be there.  
We start our trip in Santiago, which appears to be sunny from now through the next 10 days.  So the temptation is to stay with the sun.  However, we have a flight scheduled for Sunday and a rental car awaiting us in Temuco and reservations at a small guesthouse on Lake Villarica.  We will probably take a chance, hoping the showers finish early and leave us some rain-free time to explore one of the most beautiful places on earth.
Just in case, I stopped by CVS and bought emergency rain ponchos today.  We have umbrellas and water-resistant jackets, but the hope is not to use them very much.
Packing for this trip has been quite a challenge.  We will be exploring glaciers in the south and the Atacama Desert in the north.  It is summer in Chile, but the country is over 1,000 miles from north to south, and then there is the issue of rain.  Needless to say my suitcase contains sleeves and pants of all lengths and many options for layering.
I’ve cleaned out the refrigerator, washed Jake’s bed, and done all the other odd miscellaneous things I could think of to do today.  I wish we were hopping on a plane tonight instead of at 2:00 pm tomorrow.  I may just finish my airplane reading before we ever take off.
I have quite a few hours to remember all the things I failed to pack...

3 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Wow, have a great trip! I hope the weather cooperates!

11:26 PM  
Blogger lacochran's evil twin said...

You will have an amazing trip, even with rain! Think how lush it will be!

6:40 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

As Lachocran (or his/her evil twin) said, even with rain, you'll have an amazing time. Just enjoy whatever the trip brings!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home