Wednesday, January 05, 2005

On Turning 56

Happy birthday to me... Today was my birthday. It was mostly just like any other day. I went to work. I went to meditation. No one knew it was my birthday. I told Anne, my therapist, who of course said, “And how does that make you feel?” to which I gave my usual reply, “I’m not sure.”

I got an e-mail greeting from David at work and a phone call from my good friend from childhood, Mollie, who has become an airline stewardess after her mid-life crisis. Mollie sang to me over the phone. I was hoping for a few more e-mail messages from friends and acquaintances that just didn’t happen. I sent messages to Freddie Lee and Guerry, my birthday soul mates who are exactly to the day my age. (The next day I got a wonderful newsy e-mail greeting from my long-time friend BP. Two days later I heard from Mollie and Ina, another good old PC friend. I also heard from LM, my best neighbor-friend.)

But my family really came through in a big way. I woke up to find a gift from Daniel of a book of 100 favorite classical piano pieces. He had even correctly gauged the level of difficulty. David had made me a homemade computer card with The Little Mermaid on the front. My 90-year-old mother-in-law sent me a beautiful card. Later in the day I found a Tiny Jewel Box gift of a really cool pearl necklace on a black chain – David and Rachel collaborated in choosing it. Rachel had made me one of her famous weird modern faces in pastels. I will need to get it framed. After much discussion they made a late reservation at Ceiba so I could go to meditation first. We ate and ate and ate some more and I am totally stuffed, but very content to be with the people I love who have been so nice to me today.

David also baked me a chocolate cake because he had written in his Palm Pilot last year that I really wanted one. Unfortunately we are all way too full to eat it tonight. It may just need to wait until tomorrow.

It was one of the better birthdays I have had because my family all made it a special day. I am so grateful for them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home