Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Babes and Bells

As I was driving to work today, I found myself harmonizing with the songs of the season. Even though these haven't been my songs for 30 some years, the melodies are welcome and familiar. They speak of peace, harmony, and love. They feature bells ringing out to announce the birth of a little baby who is born to save the world, born from wonder-of-wonders a virgin mother.

Although there is a lot of beautiful Jewish music, the Christians really made their mark when they came up with the Christmas story that spawned a treasure trove of some of the most beautiful music the world has ever know. I mean, who doesn't thrill to sing the Hallelujah Chorus? Or even Silent Night, Away in a Manger, Joy to the World?

I am not one of those bah-humbug types who sits around covering my ears to keep out the music of Christmas. Bring it on, I say, and let me sing! These songs put a layer of softness on a nasty world, sort of like a fresh snow covering up the grimy streets. This can't be bad for anyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home