Saturday, November 26, 2005

Singing

I had wondered if I would be able to talk, let alone sing, on Friday following my thyroid surgery on Wednesday. One of the potential side effects of the surgery is injury to the vocal cords, which is usually only temporary. The thyroid sits right against the vocal cords and cutting it away sometimes causes damage.

As I opened my mouth to sing at shabbat services, I wondered just what would come out. Much to my surprise, my voice rolled out clear and unencumbered. It was as though a load had been lifted from my vocal cords. Instead of sensing swelling and discomfort, I sensed a new feeling of openness. I must say that my voice has more energy than the rest of my body, but it was so remarkable to feel this liberation of my voice as a result of the surgery. I wonder what other surprises are in store for me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home