Thursday, December 22, 2005

All in the Holiday Spirit

I think the holiday spirit is turning nasty in some of DC’s drivers. As I was making the long trek from my therapist Kathryn’s today to work southeast of the city, I was on Macarthur Boulevard stopped behind a bus and waiting while someone who had gotten off the bus crossed at a crosswalk. All of a sudden the guy behind me started honking his horn furiously. What was I supposed to do? Run down the pedestrian in the crosswalk? Last time I looked, she had the right of way!

As the woman made it across our lane and the bus pulled off, I started up also and this idiot in a large black BMW zoomed around my car. I just couldn’t resist the urge to give him the finger. I would never do that in the area where I work because people are shot for much less than that in broad daylight, but he didn’t exactly look like the NRA type. It was rush hour with that give and take of lanes, so I soon ended up passing him and he returned the finger with great glee. How very childish of us both! But there are times when it feels so good to do it. By the time he reciprocated, I was tired of playing the game. We continued to stay more or less together as far as the Tidal Basin, with all of his valiant efforts to change lanes not paying off at all.

Here’s my advice: If you ever see a big black BMW with Maryland license number MCV582, either give him the finger or honk your horn, but definitely do NOT cross the street in front of him... at least not until the holidays are over.

4 Comments:

Blogger alwswrite said...

I'm pretty loose with the bird myself. I can't help it; I guess I've got a wicked side. BMW will get his comeuppance sooner or later. Too bad people don't travel with license plates on their asses; Then we could all look out for him to walk in front of our cars.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

You posted the plate number! This is so funny!!!!!!

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it with BMWs? They're well designed cars, and yet it seems like the moment people get in them the drivers become profoundly retarded.

10:51 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

AlwaysWrite -- I have been walking around all day picturing a license plate number on everyone's ass. What a concept!

Velvet -- I have this thing for numbers. I never write down a phone number. I just memorize it! Weird, huh?

John -- I think I will use that as an excuse never to buy a BMW, for fear that I might join the ranks of the retarded drivers.

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home