Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Mermaid Babies

For those of you who have been reading my Blog, you will probably be greatly relieved to know that this post has nothing to do with my health or radiation or forced isolation. It’s a good sign that at least in my dreams I am starting to think about something else.

I just woke up from a dream that does deal with one of my greatest fears (swimming in deep water) in a very beautiful way. It centered around a documentary that substantiated the fact that many babies begin life in the sea as little tadpole-like mermaids with (undoubtedly) their male counterparts. I suppose this isn’t so far from the truth as we all begin life in utero where we must breathe amniotic fluid through what must be gills.

Let me digress and mention that for my daughter’s 6th birthday we hired the school’s drama teacher to put on “The Little Mermaid” at the party which was in the lower level of Generous Geroge’s Pizza parlour near Old Town. Rachel of course played Ariel, The Little Mermaid, with a very red wig and a costume with a tail. Her friend Anjali (whose father was the one who harbored lice under his turban) insisted on being Flounder. I actually wrote about this last year – Little Mermaid.

Anyway, in my dream, as I am doubting that mermaid babies could ever happen, it’s Anjali who says to me, “Haven’t you studied the evidence? Of course it happens!” They were so cute with their big heads and little tails, just swimming happily around in the water. Even I wouldn’t have any fear of the water if I could swim like a mermaid baby. Can it even be possible that I swam no naturally in my mother’s womb?

Leaving thoughts of mermaid babies behind, I have to shower and get ready to re-join humanity as I go back to work today. What a surprising way to start the day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home