Saturday, January 28, 2006

My Friend Charlotte

Do you remember reading Charlotte’s Web as a child? It was the loving story of a spider named Charlotte who dedicated her life to saving the pig Wylbur from being slaughtered by spinning miraculous webs that contained messages. She was willing to spin out her life little by little so that the pig could live. I cried every time I reached the end of the story when Charlotte dies but her eggs hatch into baby spiders.

I have a friend Charlotte whose goal in life is to heal others. Unfortunately healing everyone else means taking on their maladies physically and mentally. But nevertheless she repeatedly does it. It’s part of why she is here.

This same friend was my biggest supporter during my recent health ordeal. She called me daily and offered me words of encouragement. After my last encounter with her, my sense of taste started to come back and I felt stronger every day. But she got swollen glands and bumps on her tongue. And she felt the need to withdraw emotionally to mend and detox physically and mentally.

I love the fact that my health is coming back gradually. I will soon feel like my old self completely. But I miss my friend Charlotte. I love her so much and want her back in my life. I have other friends to play with, but she is my favorite friend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

First of all, I can't believe that Charlotte's Web is a children's story. It's unbelievably sad. I could watch it now and cry at the end. Note to writers: If your show is in cartoon form, then death is not an appropriate subject.

Second, I'm glad you are feeling better!!!

10:16 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I have been thinking about what you wrote Velvet. Children who grow up on farms consider life and death of the animals there as part of the natural ebb and flow of their lives. My children who grew up in the suburbs read Charlotte’s Web at a time when my mother was dying and the next year my father. We moved my father near us at the end so that was more vivid for them. However, hopefully they got from Charlotte’s Web what I understood when reading it: Friendship is a precious thing which should never be taken for granted. At least that was my sense of that book. Children experience loss at all ages, whether it be a pet or a relative or even a favorite toy. But I believe that these experiences help prepare them for life. The beauty of the ending in Charlotte’s Web is that Charlotte gives birth through her death which continues the cycle of life.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I reread what I wrote and it sounded so pompous. It was not meant to be critical, Velvet, but on re-read it looks like it is.

Sometimes I get on my soapbox and only my own shortcomings will knock it out from under me.

Kate

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home