Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day to My Husband

Rhinestone Cowgirl’s post to her AUA prompted me to think about how very special you are. We are truly a case where the whole is so much better than either of the parts.

– We cook well together. You taught me to make all sorts of Jewish food and to follow the recipe. I taught you to experiment with lots of new food and to just make up the recipe.

– You taught me to save money. When I met you, I was spending every penny I earned. You had $20,000, which sounded like a fortune to me. We’ve enjoyed our money, but thanks to you we’ve planned for retirement.

– You contributed folk music to my classical preference and our Ipods are more interesting as a result.

– I taught you to love dogs. You taught me how to choose perfect names for them.

– I got you to read more by starting our book club so many years ago. You taught me the value of finishing the book on the day of the discussion, which I am doing this month.

– We could both have profited from some lessons in disciplining children. But at least we were of one mind.

– You constantly amaze me with your technical skills. I, on the other hand, bring the more practical skills like unstopping toilets.

– I made you realize just how much you value this religion we both now share. I lured you into the choir. We both grow as we learn how little we know about Judaism.

– You taught me that people can be smart and still be humble about it. I taught you that making things is also a way to be smart.

– You taught me to say “I’m sorry” and mean it. I taught you to count to 10 before you scream.

– We have learned together that sex only gets better with age, sort of like a bottle of good wine. I can remember maybe only 5 times in all these years when you weren’t interested.

– We taught each other that fidelity makes a marriage stronger. I’m convinced that there is no greener grass!

So happy Valentine’s Day to the love of my life. After 33 years of being with you, I know that you are the best thing that ever happened to me!

With all my love,
Barbara

8 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I feel a bit cheesy commenting on this but it was so beautiful I just had to say how thrilled I am for you both to have found one another and built this life together.

7:55 AM  
Blogger A Unique Alias said...

It's lovely :-)

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's nice to hear people making public declarations of love that don't start with...you're still hot after all these years...but focus on what makes a marriage...compromise, sharing and being a better person by being together. Awesome...

9:57 AM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you both. :)

10:38 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Sniff...sniff.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

Lovely sentiments. Have a Happy Valentine's Day.

3:58 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

I just shivered. Good lord, I'm looking forward to this...

1:38 PM  
Blogger playfulinnc said...

Oh...that is beautiful!

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home