Wednesday, February 15, 2006

An Ominous Red Light

The appearance of a blinking red "oil" light in my 1991 Honda as I was driving home last night sent shivers down my spine. This car with its 163,000 miles has traveled further than any car I have ever before owned, but I was hoping for a few more years since we just bought the talking Prius last year.

I must say the appearance of that particular warning light brought back memories of my semester course in driver education when I was in high school. The one question that appeared on every multiple choice test we took concerned the message that this oil indicator really conveyed. Most people chose "low on oil," but I knew that the correct answer was really "low oil pressure," often indicating a failure of the oil pump that could not be fixed by simply adding oil. I got my A in that class by taking tests well, not by driving. Most of the people came to class already knowing how to drive. However, I was not one of them. The instructor was Coach Redfern, who spent much of his time flirting with the cute girls in the class. When I went out for my "road test" and he told me to pass a car on a two-lane highway, I was utterly petrified. I since blocked out all memories of driving in that class, but I did remember about the oil light. So I immediately drove the car to the auto repair shop, hoping against hope that it is fixable.

As much as I hate driving this old stick-shift car in rush-hour traffic, I have become somewhat attached to it. It has never let me down and left me stranded. Never! So I await the diagnosis.

Meanwhile I am driving the talking Prius today. I managed to get it into reverse, as opposed to the last time I attempted to drive it. I muted the soft female voice that so likes to tell you every turn to make. (My husband is in love with this woman, who speaks English and French equally well.) I gave my clutch foot a rest. It’s such a luxury car compared to my old Honda, but I really hope the Honda springs back to life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

That reminds me of drivers ed with the Health teacher who didn't believe in using shampoo or deodorant. What was his name?

Anyway, I am grateful that only my "Check Engine" light comes on regularly and that's because the gas cap isn't screwed on tightly.

I hope the "Low Oil Pressure" light does not mean costly, time-consuming or impossible repairs. Good luck!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Ah, Mr. Rankin the health/driver's ed teacher.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

My husband just called to say that the repair shop had diagnosed the problem as a shortage of oil! So much for what I learned in driver's ed. At least it won't cost as much as an oil pump!

12:23 PM  
Blogger Washington Cube said...

...and have you named your car?

1:46 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Isn't it funny how driver's ed teachers are always something else as well, usually something that doesn't require much in the way of brains?

Cube -- My car is affectionarely known as "The Honda." It's never had a gender or a personality. Think it's too late at 163,000 miles?

2:17 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

That is the same love I felt for my '94 Corolla that I drove into the ground. That is, until I bought my convertible.

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home