Friday, March 31, 2006

As Seen Through a Lens


There was a time when we made fun of all the Japanese tourists with their fancy cameras, when we were embarrassed to pull out a Kodak Instamatic and snap a picture here and there.

But then enter the digital age. Virtually every person on our tour has a digital camera, some quite fancy with multiple settings and lenses. I sometimes wonder at the patience of those speaking to us who simply ignore the clicks and flashes instead of saying, “Could you please just hold your pictures?” Some of our group are so busy searching out the best angle, the best light, that I am amazed that they are able to process anything that is being said.

I wondered to myself today who would fare better on a post-lecture quiz – the group without cameras who simply listened or those who clicked and flashed and ultimately produced digitized pictures in living color? Are our expensive toys becoming a substitute for using our minds to process and remember what we see?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jamy said...

I don't think the phenomenon of seeing the world through a lens is new. That is why, for years, I travelled without a camera. On my recent trip to Israel, I did use my camera, but I wasn't trying to absorb history or anything. :)

6:46 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

The doo-dads are driving you nuts, aren't they, girlfriend? A great friend of mine, the architect Bob Marquis, used to travel with a sketchbook. He was a marvelous draftsman. His sketches were always incredible. May he rest in peace.

That said, hey, can you take MORE PICTURES please?? Because I haven't been there yet and I want to SEE what it's like.

No, I'm just being mean. Enjoy Israel. Tell us all about it. Forget the pics ...

9:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jamy -- Can't wait to compare notes with you when we get back!

Reya -- I've come up with a good camera strategy: just take an artsy shot maybe once or twice a day and ask David to take the rest. He's good at it, likes taking pics, and is much more subtle than many other travelers.

Dan -- What a very pleasant surprise to hear from you! You know I'm not much of a techy when it comes to things like cameras and Ipods. I'm much happier listening and writing.

ALL -- We got contributions from 4 others today so check out the TM Blog later after I get to enter all of them and David adds the pics. We did some very COOL things today.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home