Saturday, March 25, 2006

Last For Now

When I went to my appointment this week, my acupuncturist asked if I missed my therapy sessions with Kathryn that had ended two weeks prior. Truthfully I had not even thought about needing therapy since my last meeting with Kathryn, when she shook my hand and told me that I was welcome to call her any time I should ever want to in the future. We ended our therapeutic relationship on such a positive note and with such a security blanket if I ever need her in the future.

After my hour of bliss with needles in my hands and feet, when Mary asked if I wanted to make another appointment, I told her that my current thinking was one of simplifying my life and that this would be the last appointment for now, but I would certainly let her know if I needed to use her services in the future. I find acupuncture to be incredibly effective and healing. But truthfully I am in pretty good shape these days.

My very last massage appointment was supposed to be tomorrow morning. But for a variety of reasons, I am rescheduling it for when I return from Israel. I have determined that I don’t want to think of it as my “last” appointment, but rather, like the other forms of therapy, my “last for now” appointment. I can’t imagine ever finding anyone better than my massage therapist, but I no longer need her services on a weekly basis.

I am thoroughly convinced that each of these forms of therapy can be extremely beneficial when it is truly needed. The thought of not having them available is frightening. But the assurance that they are there when needed is a comfort. So I have a growing arsenal of therapeutic measures to call on if life throws me things that I can’t deal with on my own. Every one of these therapists brings to bear a different approach to healing. So “last for now” is just fine because it leaves the door open for the future. And who ever knows what that will bring?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home