Sunday, March 26, 2006

Going Solo

My musical world for the past year has consisted of playing music with other people – usually with Deborah or Bill. As much fun as this is, when someone comes over and asks me to play something, it sounds quite lacking without the other part.

Deborah and I have joined a group on Capitol Hill called “Works in Progress” that gets together monthly so that the members of varying experience and ability can play whatever they are currently working on for the others. Until we joined them, it was all piano. After we played our Bottesini Elegy, we were invited back to the next meeting. But they also suggested that I play something by myself. Yikes!

I started considering what to play and went down a long memory lane back to my childhood piano days. I took a weekly piano lesson during the school year at 8:30 AM every Saturday morning from Mr. Lightburn, a man who it turns out was a complete alcoholic and who made the rest of his living by playing in a nightclub. I often wondered why he seemed so perfumed; as it turned out, it was probably to hide the fact that he reeked of alcohol. Every week he would attempt to make ridiculous small talk in between hearing me play the various pieces I was working on. I never knew what credentials he actually had to teach piano. We paid him $5 a lesson and I took piano for 6 years. Once he played St. Louie Blues for me, but that was the only time I heard him play anything other than my music. I rarely played for anyone else because he didn’t do recitals.

A couple of years into my piano lessons I inherited a large box of very old music from a distant relative, Mary Lamb, in West Alexander, Pennsylvania. When I needed something new to play as a diversion from the John Thompson First - Fourth Grade books, Mr. Lightburn would simply dip into the box and come up with some old gem of a European book that was likely yellowed and somewhat crumbling.

That’s where I found Albumblatt (Op. 28, No. 3) by Edvard Grieg. Albumblatt means “page leaf” in German. These were little pieces that great teachers wrote for their students. I played this piece as a child for many months, committing it to memory.

This week I copied the pages of my ancient sheet music that are now ready to totally disintegrate. I willed my fingers to remember how to play it once again. I heard those hauntingly beautiful chords after 40 years of missing them. Invariably as I play this piece by the Norwegian Grieg, I can imagine being out on the Sognfjord, that beautiful body of water that cuts through the mountains north of Bergen and empties out into the North Sea. This Albumblatt is now my work in progress destined finally for an audience on April 16.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must have been Mr. Lightburn's favorite pupil. You probably even were polite to him when he told his corny jokes and riddles.
You've always played beautifully.
FL

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You put beautiful music inside my head. Thank you.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Barbara this is so cool! I remember when you started playing again a couple of years ago. How fantastic that you'll be putting this beautiful music out into the world! Bravo!! (standing ovation, cheers, roses tossed on stage ... you in a lovely gown taking a deep and solemn bow). woo hoo.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

FL -- You are absolutely the only one reading this who can attest to just how weird Mr. Lightburn was! When he came to your house did he give lessons to all of you one after the other? (I guess that would have been 5 hours worth...) I love you and miss you so much!

Kristin -- Some day I'll play Albumblatt for you. It really is a beautiful piece.

Reya -- You, doll-ink, are the one who urged me to play again, to contact Bill about his group. I'm not sure this little piece deserves all this hoop-la, but it brings a feeling of contentedness, of coming full circle, to me. You are such a good fan to have!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Sterculian Rhetoric said...

Anais Nin? Delta of Venus? Henry Miller? Opus Pistorum? One dollar a page? I am shocked!

8:15 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

BP -- I am still struggling to understand what your comment means. Let's continue our e-mail exchanges.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home