Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Gotcha!

I’ve noticed an interesting new approach to advertizing. More and more ads now lure you in with something interesting but unrelated to what they are trying to convince you to buy or do. Here’s an example of something I heard on the way to work today:

"I recently bought a pair of Jeans and wrote to the manufacturer complaining about the child labor used to produce them. I received a $25 certificate in the mail for use in my next purchase. It was printed on paper made from a tree cut down by a 13-year-old. I’ve tried this on several recent purchases and in each case received yet another gift certificate. So now I can purchase more and more things and children are still working to make them.

You may not be able to change the world, but you can save a life by donating blood. Here’s how you do it..."

Over the years I have heard numerous often repeated ads that cause me to change stations immediately when the product is mentioned. One in particular starts off, "Your glasses just aren't helping your eyes... the See Clearly Method." When I hear that ad, I just can't wait to get rid of it. Today, however, I was so captivated by the stories about child labor that the appeal for blood donation simply snuck up on me. It’s like getting hooked and then caught before you can swim away.

Have you heard any of these dual ads lately?

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I haven't heard this! I'll have to keep an eye and an ear out for this method. Maybe both of each (eyes and ears).

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home