Saturday, March 11, 2006

Flying Solo... or in a Flock

Since I started this awakening I have been going through for the past two years, I have benefitted greatly from the services of various therapists. But I realized recently that I was spending prime time with therapists – 7 AM Thursday mornings, 10-12 Sunday mornings, for example, and I was seldom putting in a real 40-hour workweek. Add this to music and book clubs and religion and yoga and meditation and the bottom line is that I was definitely over-booked and sleep-deprived.

So I decided that I absolutely had to simplify my life in every way that I could. I stopped psychotherapy 2 weeks ago, with Kathryn’s assurance that all I had to do was call her if I ever needed her. Obviously we parted on good terms (and with a firm handshake). I have exactly one more massage appointment and one more acupuncture appointment scheduled and that is it for appointments, other than the usual dental, GYN, and skin checks that will be with me for the rest of my life.

I can already notice a difference. When I wake up in the morning, there are so many more options for how to spend my day. There is wide open space. There is time to play with my dogs. There is time to just do nothing if that feels right.

I will forever be indebted to those people who were there to mother and heal and support me during this (what I hope to be) transition period. But their importance in my life has been supplanted by a whole host of new friends who will also gladly support me, but at no charge and as my equals. That was reaffirmed so strongly last night at Temple Micah as we danced our way through a service that ultimately showed us people who are so important to us as we worshiped a God of our choice.

So I prefer to think of myself not as an eagle soaring solo to new heights, but rather as just one of a large flock that is going somewhere together. I’m convinced that if I have any problems on the way, the rest will not go on without me. That’s a good feeling.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Wonderful realization to come to!

"one of the flock"

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home