Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Play It Again... and Again and Again

I have a tune stuck in my head that just won’t go away. I happen to love this piece of music so I don’t care.

Today’s tune is Vocalise by Rachmaninoff. It is dramatic music, as most of Rachmaninoff’s music is. It contains some very weirdly pleasing chord progressions that finally resolve, but only after pushing you to your limit. It’s a challenge for me to play, at least to play correctly and up to tempo, as Bill warned me that it would be. This arrangement is written for piano and double bass, as is most music that I play these days. I hear not only my part but Deborah’s part overlaying it and it is indeed lovely. In fact it beats the hell out of any other background music that anyone could come up with.

Our minds are so fascinating in the way they grab onto something and refuse to let it go. (I guess I’m assuming that everyone does this repeat ad nauseum and it is not just my OCD tendencies that create this phenomenon.) It’s sort of like getting to eat dessert over and over again without getting full or throwing up. The end just takes you back to the beginning, like a perpetual repeat marking in the music.

This of course isn’t so pleasant when the piece of music is something you would rather forget. That occasionally happens to me too. But more often than not, my tune du jour is just what the doctor ordered.

What tune has your head been playing lately?

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I've been listening to too much external music to have a song stuck inside right now, but it's frequently She's Losing It (Belle & Sebastian) or I Wanna be Sedated (The Ramones).

That's a little worrisome, isn't it?

3:01 PM  
Blogger The Wandering Bard said...

Do you play bass or piano?

4:47 PM  
Blogger DC Cookie said...

I've had the oscar winning "It's hard out here for a pimp" in my head all day. Problem is, I only know the chorus. It's driving me nuts...

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Many songs for weeks......all sung in my head by Peggy Lee -- My Man, You're Easy to Dance With, Come Back to Me and A Woman Alone with the Blues. I can hear her as if she were in the same room.

Oh, for some Beatles or Stones to go rambling through my brain!

I try very hard to clear my head of Peggy with WGMS on my way to and from work but alas.............

7:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It's obvious that our heads attract a wide range of music.

Kristin -- Pretty desperate songs for someone as positive as you seem to be!

Wandering Bard -- I play the piano. My friend Deborah plays the bass. We do a lot of pieces in the Zimmerman book of duets for piano and bass. I highly recommend it.

Cookie -- No wonder you can't remember the words -- there are a lot of them!

Song: It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp Lyrics
[Chorus 2X: Shug - singing] + (Djay)
You know it's hard out here for a pimp (you ain't knowin)
When he tryin to get this money for the rent (you ain't knowin)
For the Cadillacs and gas money spent (you ain't knowin)
[1] Because a whole lot of bitches talkin shit (you ain't knowin)
[2] Will have a whole lot of bitches talkin shit (you ain't knowin)

[Djay]
In my eyes I done seen some crazy thangs in the streets
Gotta couple hoes workin on the changes for me
But I gotta keep my game tight like Kobe on game night
Like takin from a ho don't know no better, I know that ain't right
Done seen people killed, done seen people deal
Done seen people live in poverty with no meals
It's fucked up where I live, but that's just how it is
It might be new to you, but it's been like this for years
It's blood sweat and tears when it come down to this shit
I'm tryin to get rich 'fore I leave up out this bitch
I'm tryin to have thangs but it's hard fo' a pimp
But I'm prayin and I'm hopin to God I don't slip, yeah

[Chorus]

[Djay]
Man it seems like I'm duckin dodgin bullets everyday
Niggaz hatin on me cause I got, hoes on the tray
But I gotta stay paid, gotta stay above water
Couldn't keep up with my hoes, that's when shit got harder
North Memphis where I'm from, I'm 7th Street bound
Where niggaz all the time end up lost and never found
Man these girls think we prove thangs, leave a big head
They come hopin every night, they don't end up bein dead
Wait I got a snow bunny, and a black girl too
You pay the right price and they'll both do you
That's the way the game goes, gotta keep it strictly pimpin
Gotta have my hustle tight, makin change off these women, yeah

[Chorus]

10:36 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- Didn't mean to overlook your comment. I too would be happy to hear a lifetime of Beatles songs in my head. As for WGMS, I can't pick it up well enough any longer since it switched frequencies, so the tune in my head often predominates.

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This happens to me all the time. Lately, I've had my mind taken over and my peace interrupted by jingles from television ads I saw/heard many years (decades!) ago. I couldn't recall what the Rachmaninoff sounds like, so I just had to go over to Amazon.com and find out. It's quite pleasant and peaceful! Now, I'm afraid it'll be stuck in my mind all evening!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bengal -- How very cool! I wanted a way to let people know what this piece sounded like and this is the best! Who are you anyway? Please send me an e-mail. I'm in suspense!

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home