Monday, March 06, 2006

The Tick-Tock of the Biological Clock

My biological clock is getting a second wind, or winding. It has been dormant for twenty-some years, but I can feel it ticking again. Don’t get me wrong – I have no means or desire to get pregnant again. I simply want grandchildren!

As I asked my friend Sam about his adopted daughter from China this morning after meditation, he replied that she was no longer a baby. Instead at 2-1/2 years she is copying things that he and his wife say, like “actually...” and answering questions with a choice by “whatever you guys want.” I immediately volunteered to babysit, insisting that I wouldn’t think of charging more than a glass of wine for my services. He admitted that they didn’t go out often at $50 a sit.

Then tonight at yoga, a 40-ish something mom I have known for a while told me the latest on her very petite adopted daughter from Guatemala. At 3 she is starting to read and spell everything. She chews off pretzel pieces to form letters, sees sticks on the ground that form letters, looks at a feather and says “it’s F mommy.” She’s now 35" tall and as complete a perfect human being as you could ever imagine.

My friend Kate has pictures of her beloved Atticus, the musical prodigy, all over her apartment. He’s an adorable little 5-year-old who knows the sound of Mozart and loves it.

I’m drawn to all these little children, the kind you can love and spoil and then send home with their parents. It sounds too good to be true.

I had lunch today with my 77-year-old friend Rosa, who has 10 grandchilden (I think) and even has great-grandchildren. She is gearing up for a trip to Alaska to see one of the grandchildren graduate from high school in May. I can see what pleasure they bring her.

Our other friend Kay was also at lunch. She was bemoaning the fact that like me she has no pictures to whip out when the topic turns to grandchildren. At least in her case there are significant others in both of her children’s lives.

At this time I’m sure having babies is not on the radar screen of my children. In fact, they are probably working hard NOT to have babies, as well they should at this point in their lives. But sometimes as I look in the attic at the boxes of toys and stuffed animals and homemade costumes, I have to wonder if there will be anyone to use and wear them. If only I could glimpse the future!

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I hope you manage to get your fill with babysitting and friends' kids!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home