Sunday, March 12, 2006

My Almost Designer Jeans

When I shop for jeans, I skip over the NYDK rack and go for NYDJ – Not Your Daughter’s Jeans. They fit oh-so-much better!

Last year after I started exercising and firming up my flabby abs, I went shopping for jeans. The sales people were actually laughing at me at places like Gap and Abercrombie as I tried on pair after pair that barely hung on the knobs of my hips and revealed lots of skin front and back. I kept saying “But don’t you have any jeans for someone my age?” I finally concluded after looking around that people my age were not buying their jeans at those stores.

So I wandered over to Nordstrom’s Narrative department and found exactly what I was looking for – NYDJ, which bears the following sticker:

Not Your Daughter’s Jeans

NYDJ cannot be held
responsible for any
positive consequences due
to your fabulous appearance
when wearing the
Tummy Tuck Jean

“You can thank me later” Lisa Sandel

The first good news was that I wore a full size smaller than I normally wear. An 8 was just perfect for me. They have a little bit of stretch so they hug without making you feel poured into them.

Yesterday I realized that I had almost worn out my year-old NYDJ jeans. I anxiously called Nordstrom’s to see if they still carried these jeans, fully expecting to hear that they were last year’s merchandise. But no, they have them in 3 colors. So I bought two new pairs and a cool jacket to dress them up. The confirmation that these are the right jeans for me was someone’s comment last night at the TM Auction that I looked a little like our rabbi Toby in my new jeans and believe me, Toby is a real fashion plate.

So Reya, they are not Dolce & Gabbana, and Velvet, I did not find them in Vogue Mag, but my ass is happy enough in my NYDJ jeans!

6 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

A happy ass is all that matters. I'm sure Dolce & Gabbana would agree.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

What's the NYDK moniker?

I forgot why I made a Vogue comment recently...racking my brain over here. .

4:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- You always expose my ignorance! I think it is really DKNY -- think it stands for New York Donna Karin, right? You made the Vogue comment when I asked about the 2 deadbeats in the picture at the end of Reya's new wardrobe dream post -- the ones that turned out to be D&G.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I'M SORRY!
I didn't mean to show you as ignorant!! I never even put together the NYDK as that - I was sounding it out, "Not your dad's knees.." I had all sorts of descriptions, but basically I thought it was an earlier spin on "Not your daughters jeans." So, ok, got it now!

Thanks for pointing me to Reya's blog on that. I was in your archives trying to figure out where I made that snarky comment. I really hope I'm not being an offensive bitch. This behavior is usually reserved for my dates gone awry!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- I am just kidding you! I'm the first to admit that I know nothing about fashion or movies or TV or popular music or many of the things most normal people just know. But until my head is actually empty, it won't bother me in the least.

10:15 PM  
Blogger Asian Mistress said...

So what is special about them?

Maybe I should try some... :)

Trust, I may be in the age range, but Abercrombie jeans are for 12 year olds with no fat.

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home