Tuesday, March 14, 2006

It's Official: My Job Is MY JOB

I got a call yesterday afternoon from someone in our Human Resources (Personnel) Department:

HRD person: I would like to offer you the _______ position that you recently applied for in the American Community Survey Office. Do you accept this position?

Me: Absolutely. This will be my first promotion in 20 years.
[I found myself thinking that this was somewhat like saying "I do" after living with your partner for 10 years.]

The only thing standing between me and a start date is a higher security clearance. When you have waited 20 years, what’s a few more weeks/months?

I felt a huge surge of relief upon receiving this call. I had fully prepared myself for not getting this job, even though I was convinced that no one was more qualified than I was to do it. But all of a sudden, everything seemed to be right with the world.

I give my new young boss an A+ for a total lack of pre-selection. She played this entirely by the books, never giving me as much as a hint that I had this job. She is well on her way to being a career SES employee. I have sometimes wondered why someone with a graduate degree from Harvard is so enthused about working in the Federal government, but I suppose I should find this affirming.

So as I plunge into the day’s problems, they look just the same as they did yesterday, but I can smile at my new GS rating, knowing that it is one higher than it was this time yesterday. Some day in the not-too-distant future I will revisit retirement, but for now I have a job to do...

8 Comments:

Blogger A Unique Alias said...

Congratulations!!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

B R A V O !!!! Great news! They are lucky to have you.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Wicked H said...

Kudos!

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray!! I've been following your saga and am so glad to hear it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Fantastic! Congratulations!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Congrats!!! See? You did it!

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome! That is great news. Congrats.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness! I kept wondering what in the world you would do if that youngin' didn't recognize your talents!

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home