Sunday, February 26, 2006

Interview Questions

As our rabbi Danny was introducing the guest speaker at the Aaron Altschul Scholar in Residence Memorial weekend at Temple Micah, he relayed an interesting piece of information about the first time he met Aaron Altschul, who happened to be the person who interviewed him for his current position over 20 years ago. His first question to Danny was not about his belief in God or his religious training but rather “When do you consider something to be well written?” I have been thinking about this question ever since and will perhaps post something about my answer to the question when I come up with one that makes sense.

I suppose I am thinking about this question because I have a job interview on Monday. It has been a long time since I have been answering those questions and not asking them. I have my set of questions that I use for all prospective hires. They seem to work fairly well, resulting in a pretty good track record on hiring.

The job I am applying for happens to be the job I have been doing for the last 12 years. Our group has been elevated to a division, meaning that everyone should just move up a grade. But that is not how it is done. Instead my job was posted and 21 people were deemed qualified. So my young mid-30's boss has her work cut out for her for the foreseeable future. I am certainly hoping that all this interviewing is a formality, that the fact that I have built a successful program in the past 12 years will serve as proof that I can do the job well. But all sorts of thoughts have been running through my head...

– Will she look at the fact that I am 23 years older than she is as a negative?
– Will she review my recent leave analysis and conclude that I am a bad risk for attendance?
– Will she view the fact that I often voice my opinion and it isn’t always positive a strike against me?
– Will she want to know my retirement plans?
– What questions will she ask me?
– Should I tell her that if she doesn’t hire me I will retire the next day? (actually not likely to happen)
– Is there the remotest chance that she has read my Blog?

My guess is that she will NOT ask me when I consider something to be well written. You see that kind of writing is not a big part of my job...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

Okay, this is a bitch! (Not your boss, just the interview.) And it damn well better be a formality!

Knowing the government it is not the latter, but knowing you (even for a short time) you will be "hired" for your own job!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Interviews are rough - starting over, selling yourself. I can't imagine the pressure of doing it for your own job. Good luck!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate, Kristin -- I am hopeful that this will turn out alright. Unfortunately my boss has said that she will not announce her decision until the end of March. So I guess I had better make a good impression over the next few weeks.

Kristin -- I am wearing my new jewelry to my interview tomorrow, thanks to your sister!

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home