Monday, May 15, 2006

BEWARE: One Way Only



Ever since we drove over those one-way spikes to return our AVIS rental car yesterday, I have been thinking about those ominous spikes. They always come with the warning "Backing up will severely damage your tires." You’d be a fool to drive in and then change your mind!

I find myself wondering if there are other things in life which come with such dire consequences for changing your mind? Take relationships, for example. Once you’ve committed to a friendship, a partnership, a marriage, reneging can cause permanent scars.

Does this mean that we should always be absolutely certain before we proceed? With car spikes, that is certainly advisable. With relationships, there is no such thing as certainty. But the stakes are still high if you make a mistake. Hm.......

2 Comments:

Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I believe there's no way to be certain about anything, so we must proceed in life somewhat blindly. I also believe that sticking with something - relationship, job or other commitment - that is no longer good for me can leave scars just as ugly as the ones acquired when I've jumped ship too soon. Let's face it, living life, engaging, being part of the world, leaves scars. There's no way to do it all right.

And anyway those spike things only exist in rental car places.

9:08 AM  
Blogger ernestmaitim said...

I must have gotten over those one-way spikes, backed up, got scarred - went over them up again, backed up, got scarred... in some aspects of my life I admit I don't ever learn and just make the same mistakes.

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home