Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Never Too Late

In my dream last night I was arriving at our neighborhood pool as a LIFEGUARD. Yikes! Any of you who know about my deep water phobia realize that this would never happen in real life.

The odd thing was that the other lifeguards were the age of my children, who in their own teenage years worked as lifeguards. The head guard was none other than Chris, my son’s lifelong swimming competitor and a lifeguard forever, who currently works as a swim coach.

Just as I arrived for my shift, Chris performed a perfect save of some poor child who was drowning in the deep end. He always looked so good at whatever he was doing and really played the crowd well. In my dream he received a big round of applause as he emerged from the pool with the coughing child.

I found my lifeguard chair and made sure I could see all parts of the pool, a real necessity if I was going to do this job well. I scanned the pool for people in trouble. Toward the end of my shift I spotted my first victim and jumped in feet first to save the child. Of course it was in the 3' section of the pool. Everyone knew not to drown in the deep end because I’m afraid of deep water.

Never before have I considered being a lifeguard, not even in my dreams!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

As I recently learned, you are a lifeguard for your friends.

:-)

Kate

1:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It's just a good thing you are not really drowning, Kate!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I found this so fascinating that I had to look up the "meaning" of dreaming about being a lifeguard.

To see or dream that you are a lifeguard, suggests that you are keeping your emotions well guarded. You may be seeking guidance and support while you carefully explore aspects of your unconscious.

Of course, that's just one interpretation. Water, swimming and lifeguarding have been a huge part of your life, even if you weren't the one jumping into the deep end.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home