Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Rule of Two



We lined up for our 7 AM flight to Tucson with a bunch of sleepy people, all with their little wheeled suitcases, backpacks, laptops, and purses. After the America West person scanned our boarding passes and we started to walk down the ramp to the plane, she admonished us, “You can take only TWO pieces of hand luggage on the plane.” This is while people with humongous wheelies wheeled by and others with bulging backpacks shook their heads at us.

But I had planned ahead for just such lunacy. I quickly stuffed my little homemade quilted purse into my small zippered bag. Three had now become two. David crammed his camera case into his backpack. We flashed a “We just beat the system” smile at the watchdog employee, who had somehow hoped to either fine us or force us to check something, and walked onboard to find our little economy class seat with its continually shrinking legroom (that’s for another post).

We both wondered why the airlines didn’t use a simple rule of a weight and volume limit instead of the ridiculous 2-piece rule. I guess that might just make too much sense to an industry that thrives on rules that don’t make sense.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I hate that you are in Arizona now and I'm not with you. Jealous.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Yeah, it's sunny and 98 degrees here with no humidity. Not bad. My daughter is just pissed off because she left her ID in Boston (how did she fly???) and so she can't go out drinking with her graduating lawyer brother. One day into this trip and we are all still being pleasant to each other. I wonder how long this can continue?

11:39 PM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Have a great time in Arizona and a good end to you're week. I'm about to take my mother in law to my home town - wish me good luck :-)

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home