Saturday, May 13, 2006

It's Official: My Son Dan Is a Lawyer


As he walked across the stage to claim his diploma, I realized that Dan had done it -- completed 3 years of law school and established himself as employed.

It seemed like just yesterday that we drove across the country to bring him the decrepit old Dodge Caravan and help him get established in an apartment prior to starting law school. I’m sure the demands of law school make that time seem somewhat longer to him. I’m also sure that as the temperatures start to soar once again he is questioning his sanity in staying on in Tucson to work.

I enjoyed the graduation speakers, all distinguished lawyers themselves. Invariably they admonished the graduates not to let work dominate their lives, to never let earning money come before carrying out the law, and to work hard to improve the public image of lawyers, which unfortunately has dipped to a new low.

From the time he was 10, I have known that Dan would be a lawyer. His ability to write well and to view things logically was apparent even then. I’m convinced that he will make a great lawyer, most likely fitting a lot of pro-bono work around a lucrative career.

Congratulations, Dan. I am so proud of you!

11 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Awesome. Congrats to Dan.

Bring me back a piece of Arizona. And by "piece" I mean non-psychotic cowboy please.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Velvet -- I couldn't find a cowboy who would fit in my suitcase, but Dan is still available. The cute girl in the pic is my daughter Rachel. Aren't they great?

12:40 AM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

Congratulations from Norway too - good to see how proud you are :-)

4:32 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Beautiful pic of your beautiful children. You must be so proud! Wow!! Many festive congratulations all around!!

8:57 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Is So Over said...

Congratulations to Dan. He is a handsome, successful guy - mom is obviously proud.

And Rachel is just gorgeous. :)

12:30 PM  
Blogger Cee said...

How fantastic - congratulations to Dan.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful. Congratulations!

7:25 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. My children continue to make me proud!

9:53 PM  
Blogger playfulinnc said...

He is cute! (Just like you said at our festive dinner...)

Congrats!! Could there be a better Mother's Day gift?

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your family! As a fellow law school grad, I can appreciate just how much hard work and sacrifice (not just your son's, but your whole family's) it takes to earn that J.D. Well done, and best wishes in his career! What exactly will he be doing?

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to Dan, and to you all!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home