Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Feeling Sick and Scared

As I pointed my head at the trash can and my body convulsed in wave after wave of nausea, I remembered just how much I hate to throw up. Whatever this is has totally knocked the starch out of me.

Yesterday in the late afternoon as I tackled a programming problem at work, I got this queasy-stomach-something’s-not-right feeling. After a couple of rounds of diarrhea, I knew that I was indeed sick. I worried that I might not be able to make it to my car in the parking lot or negotiate the 15-mile drive home in rush hour traffic without passing out or needing a bathroom.

As I pulled into my driveway, my husband was just leaving to go to a class. I made it upstairs, grabbed a relatively empty trash can, and collapsed on the bed, not remembering the last time that I had felt so sick. It was a good thing I had thought about the trash can. For some reason, throwing up scares me. I wanted someone to be there to hold my head and wipe my mouth with a wet wash cloth. I suddenly felt like a child again.

I slept that sick sleep that is punctuated by throwing up and trips to the bathroom, wondering how anything else could possibly come up or out!

At 10:00 I was relieved to finally hear the door open downstairs. My husband took my temperature, which confirmed that I was sick. He got me a cup of ice chips. Food was out of the question.

Today I feel achy but cooler, maybe even slightly hungry. Hopefully this is a 24-hour virus that will remind me just how great it is to feel good again by this afternoon.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm wishing you a swift, full recovery and an extra day away from the office to enjoy your restored health. FL

9:08 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Hope you're feeling better! Sorry I missed your call last night. Let's talk today.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Bundles of wishes that this bout passes soon!

9:52 AM  
Blogger RennyBA said...

I do hope you soon feeling better and thanks for youre greatings on my blog for our National Day in Norway!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

This doesn't look good.....you have been home, albeit because you are sick, but no new postings! You must be really sick....I am so sorry.........feel better soon.

K

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home