Sunday, November 19, 2006

Go Clean Your Room


Cleaning your room is definitely a form of therapy. And in addition there are added benefits, like finding things that have been missing.

My room had gotten to a mixed-up state of all seasons with not enough space for anything. I had begun to dread opening the closets to be reminded of the chaos. Now, don’t misunderstand – I am not one of those people who owns tons of clothes; I just don’t have the luxury of walk-in closets that can house my entire wardrobe.

I always dread this activity of changing seasons, where I go through everything, sorting and culling and putting off-season things in the basement. But today was the day.


I started with the middle closet, the one that has shoes, socks, underwear, yoga clothes, and lots of miscellaneous. I pulled it all out on the floor and began to carefully match up socks into pairs. Recently I had had trouble finding 2 of anything that matched. Lots of old worn-out hose that were weird colors or had runs or were totally stretched out to the trash pile. Two extra socks whose mates never turned up. But the real prize – the pair of mauve wool socks that I have been missing for weeks. It had gotten mixed in with a large pile of clothes. This alone made the entire cleanup worthwhile.


As I pulled out the pants from closet #2, some went into the “summer” pile, many got tried on. This is where it gets a little tricky. Do you keep the ones that might fit if you gained or lost a few pounds? I mostly said yes unless I was really sick of them. I mean, if I had saved every piece of clothing that hadn’t fit over the years, I wouldn’t have any space left. So the giveaway pile grew considerably.


Did you ever realize just how much room extra hangers take up? Every trip to the dry cleaners means one or two additions. I sorted out the yucky metal ones to be recycled to the dry cleaners.

One of the nicest things about cleaning closets is rediscovering things you forgot you had. Maybe this gets worse with age, but I found quite a few today. I will have a whole new look this week as the forgottens once again become part of my wardrobe.

This really wasn’t so bad. I don’t know why I dread it each time. Maybe it’s that need to make so many decisions. I can’t say that I regret ever parting with any piece of clothing. I’m just not that attached to what I wear.

The extra breathing room in my closets will make it easier to find whatever I am looking for now. It’s nice to have a sense of accomplishment about cleaning, since everywhere I look I’m reminded that I need to be doing more of it.

What are your thoughts on cleaning?

11 Comments:

Blogger Lucy said...

I did exactly the same thing yesterday - pulled out all my spring/summer clothes and clothes I never wear and boxed them up; threw out all the old socks/underwear; pulled everything out from the walls and cleaned out all the dust bunnies. The house feels like it's glowing. :)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I'm so glad to hear from you! Yes, even though I know that squeaky clean feeling never lasts too long, it is nice to know I actually followed through with one of these cleaning projects! The dust bunnies alone should shame me into tackling another...

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hangers reproduce in the dark of the closet!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

In Nigeria, people of Ojirami-Ugbo worship Atta, the god of cleanliness. Oh yeah! Cleanliness is next to ... goddessliness? Is that a word?? Of course not.

I'm a believer in the cleaning frenzy, as you know only too well.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

OL -- I've often wondered why I end up with so many hangers. Now I know.

Reya -- You were my inspiration to get off my ass and do this today. I'm not sure I would call mine a frenzy, but it did help! I'll think of goddessliness the next time I get inspired to clean...

9:35 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

I live in such a tiny cottage (one 30'x30' room divided by furniture) that if i don't keep it cleaned up, I can't live in it! I put on the music and bless each thing I have to dust, knowing it's all I have left from the loss of my childhood home and my lost marriage. As for clothing, I keep just what fits in my closet and one dresser. Makes dressing in a hurry a snap :)

7:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Sometimes I wish I less space and fewer drawers and closets in which to hide the clutter. Simplicity definitely renders decision-making easier.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Cleaning makes me happy. I'm terrible with timing, though. Attacking the closet in the middle of packing. I'm happy when I return to an organized (and simplified) life, but it's probably not an ideal time.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

I clean for the sake of cleanliness, but not order. This drives Sofia nuts because for her order is very important.

To give you an idea of how Sofia and I differ on cleaning: it takes me about an hour to vacuum the house, it takes Sofia at least 6 hours. The difference? I just vacuum, Sofia vacuums and orders things. If there is stuff on the floor, I pick it up and move it aside; Sofia will sort and put it away.

9:35 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I am a good little cleaner but I lose it ENTIRELY on the daily stuff...

12:10 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Well, I'll never get the tidiness award because I don't tidy as I go along. I put down stuff and leave it until one day, I just pick up everything. We do have someone that cleans every 2 weeks and we do in bewteen so it doesn't get too horrible.

It's a bad thing to have an attic! You get in the habit of just throwing stuff up there!

11:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home