Friday, November 17, 2006

Starbucks to the Rescue


I’m in love with Starbucks once again, but this time it is only costing me 53 cents. I searched high and low for raspberry syrup to put in the mountains of chocolate mousse that I’m making later today, only to find it for almost free at Starbucks.

I’m part of the brigade of volunteer Micah Cooks, who cater for bat mitzvahs, weddings, virtually any occasion where someone in our temple needs good food at the right price. This week I am charged with making chocolate mousse for 60.

One of the ingredients is raspberry syrup, which sounds easy enough. But my husband's calls to multiple Whole Foods, Balducci’s, and Dean & Deluca came up with exactly one bottle at D&D’s coffee bar to the tune of $19. My friend Mary suggested just boiling up some frozen raspberries with sugar and making it.

Then I called Starbucks and low and behold, the one in Old Towne was willing to give me 7-1/2 tablespoons of raspberry syrup at no cost. My local Starbucks puts a price of 53 cents on it. Yay for Starbucks! I no longer buy their coffee, but they are solving my problem today.

I’ll add a picture later today of the biggest mound of chocolate mousse you have ever seen.

Later... after 2-1/2 pounds of melted chocolate, 18 eggs separated and beaten, 6 cups of heavy cream whipped, and don't forget the 7-1/2 tablespoons of raspberry syrup, here it is, ridiculously unhealthy but oh-so-delicious:


CHOCOLATE-RASPBERRY MOUSSE
(adapted from Maida Heater)

12 ounces semisweet chocolate
6 eggs at room temperature (graded large or extra-large), 4 of the
eggs should be separated and 2 left whole.
2 ½ tablespoons raspberry syrup
2 cups heavy cream
pinch salt

Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot water on moderate heat. Cover until the chocolate is partially melted. Uncover and stir until completely melted and smooth. Remove from the hot water and set aside, uncovered, briefly to cool.

Place the 4 egg yolks and 2 whole eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add raspberry syrup. Stir with a wire whisk to mix well (they should be thoroughly mixed but not beaten until airy). Then gradually add the warm chocolate, stirring constantly with the whisk, until smooth. Set aside.

In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters whip the cream only until it holds a definite shape but not until it is stiff (stiff cream will make the filling heavy and buttery instead of light and creamy). Set aside.

In the small bowl of an electric mixer add the salt to the 4 remaining egg whites and beat until the whites hold a shape or are stiff but not dry. In 2 or 3 additions add the whites to the chocolate/egg mixture and fold them in using a rubber spatula. Then in 2 or 3 additions, add the whipped cream and fold that in. Do not handle any more than necessary to blend ingredients.

Turn into a bowl. Mousse is better if made the day before. However, if you are going to decorate it, that should be done right before serving. Recipe says will serve 12-14. Will probably serve 20, especially if you are having other desserts.

8 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

I would never have thought Starbucks would do that! Your Mousse sounds great... I haven't had any Mousse in years. My friend Shari has still not gotten to me with the Fondant recipe'... in fact she answered one email and I can't get a rise out of her.. I hope I didn't piss her off!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I think I'm going to have to make some chocolate mousse. STAT. That sounds lovely, if a lot of work... You continue to impress me - mousse for 60.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve and Kristin -- I'm always relieved when the cream whips and the egg whites get to that stiff but not dry state. I'll think twice before offering to make this much mousse again! But licking the bowl tells me it's good.

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a life.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, dear. What's with the hateful comments? I checked back for photos and found the above. I'm sorry; that's just wrong!

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it would have been just as good without the raspberry, but I am like you, determined to get all the right ingredients.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You are truly amazing even thinking of taking this on! I'd love to lick the bowl but I'd have to do more insulin! They'll appreciate your contribution.
I'll try not to drool on my screen later!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara, I had the privilege of licking the spoon after we served the mousse at Micah on Saturday. It was only Adrien's comments that kept me from licking the bowl clean. Besides, it's amazing to hear you say anything nice about Starbucks! Aloha, Bengal.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home