Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Stream of Consciousness

Today you get a smorgasbord of random thoughts as my mind seems a little chaotic and distracted.

Shaving

While shaving my legs in the shower today, I wondered why on earth I was doing it. I used to just let my leg hair grow and become soft over the winter when my legs were always covered with either hose or long pants. My husband seems only to notice if I’m wearing socks and not whether I have hair on my legs. So why in the world do I bother?

Cleaning

Angelina cleans our house every other week and Mr. Sotha takes care of the yard. This is not her week to clean and he has yet to deal with the fallen leaves. As I looked around at my house, which is full of dog hair, and saw a sea of leaves on the walk and driveway, I had to hope that my dinner guests tonight would see beyond the state of the house. I actually took a broom to the front walkway just so it would be obvious.

Contrasting Marriage and Friendship

A friend who has struggled with marriage and commitment finds strength in friendship. I see commitment as an essential component of both marriage and friendship. In fact, the "bill of rights" for a good marriage and a good friendship would likely include many similar characteristics: loyalty, fidelity, trust, refusal to spread gossip, willingness to forgive. The big difference is that society lauds a person for having multiple friends but is quick to judge failures of monogamy.

People Finder Caution

I learned that finding someone’s phone number through People Finder can be dangerous. Instead of reaching him, the message I left was received by his ex-wife. Oops!

My Health Insurance Plan Sucks

My PT sessions have become an important part of my life over the past month. I now have to face the reality that GEHA will subsidize at most 6 more sessions. Then I am on my own at $175 a pop if I choose to continue this year. It’s a good thing this is open season. I hear Blue Cross is a lot better when it comes to PT. They probably get their money somewhere else.

8 Comments:

Blogger Aileen said...

I find sometimes when my thoughts are scattered, that it's very helpful to write it out as you did.

I especially interested on your thoughts about marriage, friendship, and commitment. I can relate to your friend.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Interesting post - all the things we gloss over as mundane often hold clues about us. Why DO you shave your legs, for instance? For you, for your husband, for your sense of propriety, or of a cultural bias? It's fun to examine our motives about such simple things.

Often times my own mind feels exactly like that picture!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Shaving my underarms this morning before swimming was definitely for others so they wouldn't be grossed out! If I could be sure it didn't matter to them , I'd certainly not be doing it! It's culturalised for sure. Europen women don't!

Everyone says that friends come to see you, not your house but I still worry as you do that it won't seem messy or not clean.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These days I only shave when my legs will be seen. Shorts, dress.
All these years of shaving have ruined my skin. Which brings to mind that I am glad I never Braziled my self. I shudder to think of what 'things' would look like at my age after waxing for 40 years!!!!!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Interesting sampling of thoughts... I do shave daily. I wear far too many skirts, but it is such a bother.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- I agree that writing down random thoughts helps at least to clean out that area of my brain where they collect.

Pauline -- I thought about just posting the picture. I especially liked the way it depicts "stream of consciousness."

MOI -- How many times do you really look at someone's underarms while swimming? I'll bet most people wouldn't notice if you didn't shave. And sometimes they sting when you apply deodorant afterwards. For about 25 years I didn't do a lot of shaving. I can't say that resuming it has improved my quality of life one iota.

OL -- I never even knew about waxing until about 10 years ago. It just sounds too painful to me to ever even tempt me. I guess I'm just not that enamoured with smooth skin.

Kristin -- Every day! That's impressive. I think I did that in college, but not since. Welcome back from Turkey. I'd love to talk to you about your trip.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

ccfwI don't understand shaving legs. I don't do it myself - and if I could, I wouldn't shave my face either.

I don't worry too much about appearance (Sofia thinks that is a major problem with me), I am generally pretty comfortable with the level of cleanliness in my house (not so Sofia). I prefer to myself as "casual".

Friendship and marriage share many common attributes (they should be universal attributes by the way). Marriage differs in that it is a sworn oath before God to share one life. I don't know about you, but I do not swear oaths to share my life with friends. I share parts of my life, but I do not try to forge a common life and path with them.

I have never had much luck finding lost friends. On the other hand, maybe it is because I keep looking in countries where I do not speak the language (not to mention the non-Roman script)1

You have better insurance than most. My estimate is that you get about $1000 per year covered by your insurance. Mine alternative care tops out at $750. Most people get nothing.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You're right, of course. It's just a thing in our heads...(who put that there?) that people might care about dust on tables and hair on underarms, and form opinions accordingly. It is really dumb actually, but there is a point beyond which you have set standards for yourself and do things for just yourself as you should. I like to look good but with as little effort as possible...sometimes those two just don't jive all that well!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home